i dress for me, not for you.

2:34 PM


I have to get something off my chest, something that's been bothering me for over a month now. Isn't it weird how humans, and especially girls, constantly have to give other people shit for how they dress? Why are we still acting like we have the right to tell someone what they can and can't wear? It's a free world isn't it? So why can't I wear high waisted shorts without someone telling me I am too fat to wear them? Of course they're not saying it straight out like that to my face, no! They'll be saying that "maybe that's not the best look for me" or that "that just isn't working". But I know what they really want to say - "you can't wear that, you're too fat". Because clearly, you have a right to tell me what I can and can't wear based on the size of my body. Except no - no you don't.

No human being have any right at all to tell someone else what they can't wear based on what clothing size they have. We can think whatever we want and have opinions, yes, but don't say it. Don't be a douche. And if you feel like you have to say something... say it to someones face, instead of gossiping to your mutual friends or even stooping so low to writing a subtweet on twitter. (A subtweet is when you tweet about someone without mentioning them, so it's indirectly a tweet to them.)

Why I'm so annoyed about this is because while I'm used to people judging me for how I dress and look, it's lately started to annoy me more than ever. When I go to gigs, I don't like to wear jeans and a top. Why? Because I have never ever felt comfortable in a pair of jeans, because I think that jeans don't fit my body. I think I look too big, but that's irrelevant right now. Even on normal days, I rarely wear jeans. I mostly wear disco pants or skirts and sometimes high waisted shorts. So when I go to gigs, naturally I will wear something I feel comfortable in and that I think looks good on me. Most times I'll wear a skirt and a crop top which is a combination that I love. I don't like wearing disco pants at a gig because it gets so warm and I feel like I'm gonna pass out so therefore I wear skirts. Recently, I've been getting so much shit about the way I dress at gigs.

I've been getting comments like "are you expecting a band member to want to hook up with you" and "are you dressing like that to try and impress him". And oh my god, are you for real? Of course I'm not dressing the way I am because I think that a band member will be into me?! I don't dress the way I do to try and get guys' attention, stop that right now. I dress the way I do because I feel comfortable, because I like the way I look. Of course when I'm out partying I enjoy getting attention from someone I fancy, but don't we all? But I don't dress for guys. Just because I wear a skirt and a tight fitting crop top doesn't mean I want attention from a boy. No, not at all. It means I'm comfortable enough in my body to wear that outfit. Don't try and bring me down and say I dress "slutty" to get guys. Nah, I don't. I dress for me, not for anyone else.

It annoys me that people think it's okay to just assume that just because I might be comfortable with wearing shirts that show some cleavage and wearing skater skirts, that I am dressing up to get attention from a guy in a band at a gig. Or from any guy in general. Shouldn't it instead be great that I can feel comfortable enough with myself to wear an outfit like that? That I'm comfortable enough with my body to dress how I want to, whatever society says? And that even though people seem to think I'm too fat (which I deep down know I'm not), I kinda don't give a shit because if I want to wear a crop top I will. There's so many people who seem to think that I'm too big for certain clothes or that it looks vulgar because I am the size I am (a size 10-12, just saying). What do you guys want me to wear then? A garbage bag? Or sweatpants and a hoodie? Sure, that's what I'm gonna wear to my next gig. And I'd be miserable as hell, because I'd be so uncomfortable.

What I'm trying to say is that please don't judge people or put them down because of the size they are. You are all beautiful and if someone tells you that you can't wear something, wear it with pride. I bet you look stunning.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images