album review: fall out boy - american beauty/american psycho

1:32 PM


Fall Out Boy - American Beauty/American Psycho

I don't think anyone who knows me have been able to miss the fact that I am a massive Fall Out Boy fan. I'd say they are one of my top 5 favourite bands, ever. I'm very rarely disappointed by their music, but there's some albums in their past that I haven't been completely in love with. (Pax Am Days, anyone?) Their new album dropped a few days ago and I have already listened through it a bunch of times. Verdict? Stunning. 

A lot of people are saying that Fall Out Boy have changed a lot, and maybe they have. It's natural though, for a band to change as they grow older. They progress, and find inspiration in other places. Their style might change. I think Fall Out Boy is one of those bands who have only changed for the better. I was obsessed with Take This to Your Grave and From Under The Cork Tree when I was a teenager and they were on repeat most days. I l o v e d Infinity on High - even though a lot of people hated it. I found Folie A Deux to be one of those albums that I don't like at the first listen, but then it grows on you. And Save Rock and Roll - my favourite album from 2013 - was an instant favourite. But what about American Beauty / American Psycho?

Since Save Rock and Roll was such a hit with me, I had insanely high expectations when they announced the new album. I loved Centuries at the first listen, but I was very skeptic when I heard American Beauty/American Psycho (the song). It was so different and weird. But it grew on me. And then there was Immortals, which I absolutely adored. Those three songs are a great example about how much variety the album holds. Centuries has an arena-rock vibe to it, while American Beauty/American Psycho has clear influences from the late 70's mixed with pop. And Immortals? It's like a slow rock song with pop influences that gets stuck in your head for days.

I hate albums where all songs sound the same, and I don't think Fall Out Boy have ever had one of those albums. American Beauty/American Psycho is definitely an album full of variety. You have The Kids Are Alright, which is a bit more mellow - as well as Jet Pack Blues and Favorite Record. There's so many good songs and I am once again amazed by this band. Patrick's vocals seems to be getting better and better and he's showing more ranges than ever. The songwriting is absolutely excellent. Both the music, vocals and lyrics on this album are out of this world. 

For me, there's always some songs I find myself absolutely obsessed with on an album. On this album, it's hard to choose. There's Uma Thurman - a song I literally can't get out of my head for days. It's so catchy and there's some incredible guitar and bass parts that I'm obsessed with. There's Favorite Record, a beautiful and kinda mellow song about being very in love with someone. There's Irresistible, where Patrick utters some French words and it's an absolutely incredible song.

All in all, it's an incredible album and I'm pretty sure this band can never fail. Will it be the best album I hear this year? I don't know. Maybe. We'll see in December.

Stand out songs: Favorite Record. Uma Thurman. Irresistible. Novocaine. Immortals.

Score: 5 outta 5. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images