2013 IN REVIEW / TOP 5 COVER SONGS OF THE YEAR

3:43 PM

Since I officially suck at blogging and uploading outfit posts (it's cold outside and I work a lot aka no fun outfits) bit I'll try and get better at it! I was thinking about doing some reviews of the past year, like best songs, albums and movies and so on! Starting with a bit weird category; top 5 best cover songs of the year. Every day there's about a hundred covers being posted to youtube and a lot of them are sung by famous people/bands. A lot of them come from Radio One's live lounge and other radio stations. I'm one of those people who'll most likely always prefer the original, especially if it's by a band/artist I love a lot. But occasionally I'll love the cover more, like sometimes when Glee does a mash-up or preforms a really well done cover. Or sometimes, I'll hear a song and love it and then find out it's a cover and prefer it over the original. Anyways, this is my fave cover songs that's been done this year! (I was gonna include a glee song but I couldn't find a good audio nor video on youtube so yeah!) 

1. Rixton - I Knew You Were Trouble (Taylor Swift Response)
Not entirely a completely, it's more like a response to Taylor Swift's I Knew You Were Trouble but I couldn't not include it since it's my favourite cover of the year without hesitation. That or their amazing cover of R Kelly's Ignition, which you can find here. Rixton have under 2013 managed to record 3 of my favourite covers of the year and I'd include them all here if I could. Their cover of Drake's incredible Hold On We're Going Home is worth watching just because of the high pitched singing in the chorus. A-M-AZING. Rixton is an incredibly talented bunch of guys and they'll be on more of my review lists. Can't wait to get my hands on an album by them. I absolutely love this. Best bit? "There was only one direction and you've gone the wrong way"





2. Agnes - Instant Repeater (Soundtrack of Our Lives cover)
Agnes is a fantastic girl from Sweden who has one of the most brilliant voices I've ever heard. She was on a TV show here in Sweden where 7 artists record covers of all the other artists songs and make them as their own. Agnes for instance is a bit of a club and disco diva and made all songs into party songs, but a rapper who was on the show obviously made every song into a rap song. It's a fun show, but I described it horribly. Anyways so Agnes was on it and she made amazing covers of so many tracks but this one is my favourite and it's even good enough to be the second best of the year! It's a cover of the rock band Soundtrack of Our Lives' massive hit Instant Repeater and she does it so brilliantly and flawlessly that you'd think it was her own song. Love this.





3. James Arthur - Wrecking Ball (Miley Cyrus cover)
James Arthur is a very controversial guy isn't he? He always seems to make headlines one way or another and he's kinda like marmite; either you love him or you hate him. I love his voice and his album is quite alright, You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves You is one killer track. His voice is very unique and I absolutely adore his cover of Wrecking Ball and oh my god it's incredible. Just give it a chance. It's got such a raw feeling to it and it's so powerful. I'm amazed.







4. Tyler Ward - Royals (Lorde cover)
I think I'm one of the few people on this planet who doesn't really care for Lorde. Royals annoys the hell out of me - when she sings it. And Lorde is just pissing me off a bit by trash talking other artists so much. You wanna be famous for your music not for your attitude or bad mouthing other musicians. Anyways, I dislike her version of Royals and would much rather listen to this. I've loved Tyler's music for a while and his covers of some of Macklemore's songs are incredible and I was afraid this entire top 5 would just be Tyler haha. He's amazing and this song is so lovely and summery and just way more enjoyable to listen to than the original.





5. Little Mix - Holy Grail / Counting Stars / Smells Like Teen Spirit (Jay Z / OneRepublic / Nirvana cover)
As you all know I adore Little Mix and love them very much and they did this cover almost 2 months ago at the BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge and I heard it on the radio and just fell in love. The girls have amazing voices and they sing these three songs so beautifully and they go so well together. A weird mash-up yet so damn cool. They make it sound so effortless! I love this, a lot. The ending with the Holy Grail / Smells Like Teen Spirit bit is the best one. What an amazing song.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images