2013 IN REVIEW // TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 2013

2:53 PM

It's time for another end of year review! This time it's the best albums of 2013, woo. Exciting right?! This was a hassle though, because first I could barely remember any albums that dropped this year bar like 3 on this list, and then I found like 15 albums I loved from this year so it was tough to get it down to 10. And then I had to decide the order.... The top 5 was relatively easy to decide. Number 1 was extremely simple but the 4th place went to an album I only last week wasn't gonna put on this list at all... So yeah, exciting! I'll try and put up a top 10 movie list tomorrow!

PS. If you click on the little hearts next to a song/album you'll be redirected to Spotify to listen to the song I recommended. In the 4th spots case, the entire album isn't on Spotify so it's linked to a playlist with almost all the songs. In the top 5 the heart will link you to an album. Enjoy! 






10. TIE: Naughty Boy - Hotel Cabana / Rizzle Kicks - Roaring 20's (impossible to choose)
Best songs from each: Naughty Boy - No One's Here to Sleep (ft. Bastille)    /// Rizzle Kicks - Lost Generation 

9. Rudimental - Home 
Best song: Powerless (ft. Becky Hill)  

8. Little Mix - Salute 
Best song: About the Boy 

7. Bring Me The Horizon - Sempiternal 
Best song: Go To Hell For Heaven's Sake 

6. Bastille - Bad Blood: The Extended Cut
Best song: Laura Palmer 

5. The Wanted - Word of Mouth 

One of my favourite albums of the year came from the UK boyband who won me over with lovely ballads and up tempo dance tracks. There's something for everyone on this album, except if you're looking for some guitar riffs. It's a brilliant album and all the boys have amazing vocals that truly show off in the songs. The deluxe edition with over 18 songs is a fantastic bargain and well worth the money. I did a full review of the album that can be found here. 

Best songs: Running Out Of Reasons, Show Me Love (America), I Found You, We Own The Night 

4. Justin Bieber - Journals 

This is a very fresh release! It only officially dropped last week but some songs have been out since October with one song being released every Sunday on iTunes. Brilliant concept! Then the album dropped on the 22nd and there was 5 additional songs on it. I was first very very unsure of this album and Justin's new direction in music. I disliked Heartbreaker so much when I first heard it and I didn't really listen to any of the songs until end of November when I came across Roller Coaster. I was floored by how incredible it was and how insanely good Justin's voice was. It was a fantastic song and for weeks I only listened to that song. Then I started listening to more and more tracks from the album and the last week it's all I've been listening to. I went to see Believe (it was amazing) and it made me love these songs so much more, cause I got to hear them in a different way and see why he decided to do some genre changes. This album is heavily RnB influenced and there's some incredible slow songs with sexual references, so it's safe to say Bieber's all grown up. There's not really a bad song on this album and Justin's voice has gotten incredible and his skills as a songwriter is just.. wow. Some of the artists that are featured on the songs are R. Kelly (PYD), Chance The Rapper (Confident), Lil Wayne (Backpack), Big Sean (Memphis) and Future (What's Hatnin). So there's a lot of rappers on it but it's definitely not a rap album, hah. Mostly r'n'b and pop. And it ain't bad! Justin's grown up and I'm loving it - just as much as I loved his first album. He can pretty much do anything?!

Best songs: Roller Coaster, Confident (feat. Chance the Rapper), Memphis (feat. Big Sean), PYD, All That Matters.


3. The Blackout - Start the Party 

The minute I heard this album in its fullness I knew it'd be one of my favourites from 2013. The Blackout is one of my favourite bands and I've loved the six guys from Wales since early 2007. This album - their fourth - is absolutely incredible in every single way and it's impossible for me to find one bad song on it. There's hard rock song, brilliant up tempo and fun songs and some absolutely amazing lyrics. Singers and song writers Gavin Butler and Sean Smith have done a tremendous job of delivering perfect lyrics. Strong vocals and overall one of my favourite albums of the year, possibly ever.

Best songs: We Live On, Radio, Running Scared, Take Away The Misery

2. 3OH!3 - Omens 

I've been a fan of 3OH!3 for many years and Streets of Gold (the album they released before Omens) was my favourite album of the year when it was released in 2010. So I've waited for 3 years for a new album from the fantastic duo and in June they dropped Omens and I literally loved it from the first seconds of the opening track. I'd heard three songs before and they were amazing and when I first listened through the album in it's entirety I couldn't believe how incredible it was. Sean and Nat are so insanely talented and I wish more people would listen to them. Their music might come off as immature and not very serious, but it's incredible. There's fun tracks with brilliant tongue in cheek lyrics ("it ain't over till the fat lady sings and Adele ain't on this track, whoops did I say that, yes I did" //// "it's time to get stupid it's time to get kardashian"). They also have more serious tracks (mostly on Streets of Gold) but on Omens, listen to Back to Life because it's more low key and absolutely incredible. I couldn't possibly choose one favourite song on the album, because even the songs I used to like the least I now love so much. There's not one bad song on Omens and it would've been my number one album - if I hadn't waited five years for the album that stole that number 1 spot. Omens is a masterpiece. 

Best songs: Two Girlfriends, You're Gonna Love This, Do Or Die, Hungover

1. Fall Out Boy - Save Rock and Roll 

Five years. That's how long I waited for this album. I didn't even think I'd ever get it. In 2009 my favourite band of all times went on a hiatus. They said it wasn't the end of the band - but who knew? Then it was quiet for 4 years. There was tons of rumours but they were dismissed. Then in February, something happened. On the 4th of February I was on facebook scrolling through my feed when I came across a newly written status from Fall Out Boy saying they were back - with a new song and video being released the same day. I literally started crying, I'm not even kidding. This band pretty much saved my life and made me into the person I am today and I love them with all my heart. The fact that they were back made everything so much better. Later that day I listened to My Songs Know What You Did in The Dark and fell in love with Fall Out Boy all over again. It was like I was 14 again and listening to their music on repeat to get through a day in school. Then in April, Save Rock and Roll was released. I listened to it a week in advance on Soundcloud, because they put up the album there. I remember having it on repeat every single day on Soundcloud until I could download it from iTunes.There's not a bad song on this album. Every time I listen through it I'm filled with so many emotions and I constantly find new lyrics that I adore. Picking a favourite song is just impossible. I love how Fall Out Boy have done some incredible rock songs with guitar riffs and hard drums but also lovely piano ballads that aren't boring nor lame. It's an incredible mix of genres. The lyrics are just amazing and I'm blown away by this album. My first favourites on the album were Alone Together and Rat A Tat and they're still two of my favourites, but the song I've listened to the most has to be The Mighty Fall. I love that Fall Out Boy have taken in some guests on their songs, like Foxes (Just One Yesterday), Big Sean (The Mighty Fall), Courtney Love (Rat A Tat), Elton John (Save Rock and Roll) and 2 Chainz (My Songs.... remix). 

It's an amazing album and I've listened to Fall Out Boy for over 10 years and it's incredible to see them grow so much as a band. Fucking brilliant album - excuse the cursing. It's just that good of an album.
(Ps. I love how in Save Rock and Roll, this is a bit of the lyrics "I will defend the faith, going down swinging" which makes me think of their biggest hit, Sugar We're Going Down)

Best songs: The Mighty Fall, Just One Yesterday, Rat A Tat, The Phoenix, Save Rock and Roll, Alone Together, Death Valley, My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark, Where Did The Party Go, Young Volcanoes, Miss Missing You. Yes, that's the entire album. I can't choose.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images