album review: fifth harmony - reflection (deluxe)

9:17 PM



Hiya!
Hope y'all are well. I'm currently doing a night shift at work and it's v boring because there's literally nothing to do. So I thought "what can I possibly do so I'm less bored?" and then it hit me: BLOG. Yeah so I'm back for good now! Y'all ain't getting rid of me. Album review is coming up now, and it was on my "most anticipated albums of 2015" list and it's Fifth Harmony's debut album Reflection (Deluxe Edition)! I won't do a track by track review but yeah, let's go!
I've always been a fan of girlbands. Ever since I heard Spice Girls for the first time as a kid I was hooked. Me and my friends used to dance to Spice Girls and pretend we were different members. I was always Geri - not entirely sure why. I just thought she was SO cool. Then came my love for TLC, then Destiny's Child, then Sugababes and Girls Aloud. And then I found Little Mix and absolutely loved them. And then I remember seeing Fifth Harmony all over twitter and tumblr and honestly, at first I wasn't that impressed. I had enough bands in my life and figured I didn't need to pay attention to them. I was a Little Mix fan and thought one girlband was enough. However, I loved Miss Movin' On when it came out. But that was it. Then I didn't really care until Fifth Harmony released BO$$. There was just something about that song that I really loved. It was catchy and had some hilarious lyrics. And then I heard Sledgehammer and I was floored. Slowly but surely, I was becoming a Fifth Harmony fan.
When the album was released, I tried to be skeptical about it. I found my favourite songs immediately and then kinda didn't care about the other. Until I listened to the album from start to end and realised that it was one heck of an album. As I'm looking at the tracklist I can honestly say that there's no song I don't like. Sure there are tracks I don't love as much as the others, but there's no bad song. Not one.
My first favourite was Sledgehammer, because it's just an incredible song. Then, I adored Brave Honest Beautiful because of the lyrics but also the amazing intro which is a nod to Destiny's Child's Bootylicious intro. I honestly didn't care for Everlasting Love, Like Mariah or Suga Mama at first, but they've grown on me. The girls show off some insane vocals in those three songs and I am genuinely so impressed by their vocals. The girls have so much talent between them.
There's a lot of variety on the album. There's tracks for everything. You wanna get a confidence boost? Listen to Reflection or Brave Honest Beautiful. You wanna dance your ass off? Body Rock or This is How We Roll. You're mad at some boy who's done you wrong? We Know.
If I had to choose my favourite songs, it'd had to be Top Down, Going Nowhere and Brave Honest Beautiful. But literally every song on the album is incredible and I'm so amazed by these five girls. They've grown so much on me and I can't help but love their music. What a kick ass album. Every other girlband out there - take notes. This is how a real pop album should sound.
There's pop songs, there's influences from R'n'B and hip-hop, there's ballads and there's party anthems and girl power anthems. There's also some collaborations, with a guest apparence from Tyga on Like Mariah, Kid Ink on Worth It and Meghan Trainor on Brave Honest Beautiful. Brave Honest Beautiful has some of the best lyrics on the album, including "don't go and waste your precious time with all the nonsense on your mind, no don't criticize yourself no more, you got a smile worth fighting for".

How many tracks: 14, it's the deluxe one. Without the three bonus tracks, it's 11.
Bonus tracks: Body Rock, Going Nowhere, Brave Honest Beautiful.
Best lyric: "maybe you should just stay in your lane" - we know. purely, because it's so sassy.
Weirdest lyric: "We makin' it clap, we don't need hands for that." - this is how we roll
Hearts out of five: 5

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images